Friday, September 14, 2012

Ravioli Soup

It was 4 o'clock yesterday, I had no meat thawed and NO desire to load 3 kids into the car for a trip to the store.  We've been trying to cut down on our eating out and ordering in so I opened the pantry.  And stood there.  Staring.  I always have canned tomatoes and chicken broth so I thought I could make my tortilla soup, but I didn't have any of the toppings, so what fun would that be?

A while back I found these cute little mini raviolis at Trader Joe's.  So I thought I could whip something up.  I gathered my ingredients...
I minced 1 onion and 4 cloves of garlic and sauteed them with a bit of olive oil.
Meanwhile, I put my Trader Joe's chicken breast strips on a plate and cooked them for about 4 minutes on 30% power.  Just enough so that I could cut them.
While the chicken was cooking I stirred the spaghetti sauce, 6 cups of chicken broth, and about 1/2 a tablespoon of italian seasoning into the pot with the onions and garlic.  Then I chopped the still partially frozen chicken into bite-size pieces.
I brought the sauce to a boil, then added the chopped chicken and bag of ravioli.  I let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
We topped the soup with some parmesan and mozzarella. 
It was delish!  The kids had seconds and Aaron loved it too!  I will definitely play with the spices next time and maybe add some green pepper, but it was very good for a last minute, thrown together meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment