Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Breastfeeding Mommy Problems

I love being able to breastfeed.  I'm so glad I can provide my babies with this start in life.  Especially since Lorelei was on formula in the NICU and for her first month;  I didn't think we were going to be able to do it!  However, it comes with an interesting set of problems that you don't realize (or sometimes understand) until you've experienced it for yourself.

1.  As if swimsuit shopping isn't horrible enough on it's own.  Try doing it while nursing! Never mind trying to find a swimsuit that you can somewhat easily nurse in, that will also accommodate your larger-than-life tatas AND cover your post-baby belly.  Don't, and I mean DON'T try on swimsuits after nursing.  That cute top that fits probably won't in about 2 hours.  Or the first time you wear it to the pool!  You will spend the entire time trying to make sure you aren't being obscene.

2.  You will only look nice for about 15 minutes after you get dressed...or until the first time your baby eats.  And I'm not talking about being spitup on.  I've yet to find a top that doesn't end up looking too big and stretched out after being lifted up or pulled down 15 times.  Don't even try nursing tops.  Those ones that "pull over for easy access" just get more stretched out and end up showing an inappropriate amount of cleavage.

3.  You will flash a stranger.  I am a discreet public breastfeeder.  I use a cover or blanket and usually try to do it out of the way.  That being said, Lorelei HATES being covered up.  And just when she relaxes and I loosen my grip holding the cover in place, she rips it back like the magic curtain exposing us to the perfectly timed walk-by.  Or even better...you'll be carrying your dear one through a store when she decides she wants to eat and sticks her whole arm down your shirt.

And that was just yesterday!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the laugh. I've experienced all of these recently as well! Strangers see my nipples more often than my husband [so he says] because Kathryn always rips back the cover.

    ReplyDelete